2 Reasons Why I Believe the New Tru by Hilton Chain Was a Mistake

Tru by Hilton
Hilton had recently unveiled its new chain of budget hotels, Tru, catered towards the Millennial. While I do know this was posted before by our classmate Alice, I wanted to spur some more conversation on this news as I found it very insightful as its speaks to the soon-to-be largest consumer segment, ourselves.

Aimed at the budget traveller, Tru by Hilton, aims to be the modern day hotel chain for today’s consumer (millennials). Their key brand touch points comprise of low rates, a more interactive lobby that takes the image of a college dorm, and a modern “Ikea” design. Quoted by Hilton’s CEO, “Tru will serve the largest segment of the hotel market, but a segment where no brand is meeting guests’ current needs”. While I do believe they will receive some success, for the most part I disagree with their overall brand strategy. This is for two primary reasons:

1) An oversaturated market
2) Their target, Millennials, is a different breed

Oversaturated
Not far from existing brands such as UK’s Premier Inn or IHG’s Holiday Inn, Tru seems to replicate a modern image for a budget stay. Because of such, I think it will be hard to gain traction, let alone gain market share in a space that is already crowded with competitors. Although they do boast few unique features such as build-your-own breakfast, ultimately my outlook is dismal for them becoming a winner in this space. The brand would be better suited targeting a different segment altogether or re-adjust their strategy, which leads me to my second point.

The Millennial 
From perspective an exchange student – having done my fair travelling for the past few months, the one thing I noticed about the new consumer (ourselves) is that we seek authenticity when we travel. We like to believe that any accommodation or adventure we seek is unique and better than the experience of our peers. Any idea of something being generic or replicated bores us and is not good enough. Simply put, a cheap budget hotel chain (Tru) that has the likes of everyone of its sister locations will find difficulty in attracting budget travellers seeking “unique” experiences. And this is not just my view but IHG , Airbnb, and many other hotel brands.

The reason why Airbnb has seen such success amongst Millennials is a) price/choice and most importantly b) unique accommodations that can only be found in that one stay. Every listing on Airbnb is different from one another and boasts unique services/locations/designs than every other listing. This individual experience is something that Millennials crave for in order to find the next best Instagram post and Facebook photo album brag. It’s no wonder why IHG had recently decided to buy out the boutique hotel brand Kimpton Hotels.

Summary
While I do think the Tru brand offers unique touch points, I do not think it will become a major success in the hospitality market. Competitors such as IHG’s Kimpton Hotels, will fair out more success competing in a space that no major player is in, and in which the upcoming bulk consumer, millennials, will buy into.

3 Responses

1. mmtrujano March 24, 2016 at 2:31 am |

Hey Matthew!
    I checked the hotel’s website and I agree with your post. I think even though the target market they chose is quite big, this hotel gives me the feeling that I am staying at a hostel but in a much bigger “mainstream” way. Personally, I’ve enjoyed the time I spent at smaller but unique hotels in the middle of nowhere than going to a chain hotel everyone knows, not only for the service but the experience as a whole.

Reply
  2. yxchan March 26, 2016 at 7:52 am |

I emphatically agree with you as well. As I said on some of the posts, I really love Airbnb. It’s more personalized and I got to make new friends (owners) as well and they even brought me to different places that tourists wouldn’t always go to.

Though it’s a huge market (Millennials), I would rather stay in a hostel as I reckon it would be even cheaper than staying in Tru. What I feel that are most important to me would be the interaction with locals as well as the location of the place I am intending to stay in which Airbnb provides me the choice to do so.

Thanks for the post 🙂

Reply
  3. peggymen March 27, 2016 at 4:24 am |

Thanks for sharing Matt! 🙂

From a strategic standpoint, I can understand why Hilton decided to launch Tru. It allows Hilton to enter the midscale segment, one of the largest hotel segments that is relatively untapped by major global brands.

From a consumer standpoint, I agree with you that millennials crave authenticity when they travel. Undoubtedly, Hilton will want to expand Tru within and outside the U.S., which will further deteriorate the “unique travel experience” for millennials.

Reply